Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter thought


I can’t believe I am posting something on a blog but I guess I can take comfort in the fact I am not creating my own blog just posting a thought and saying thank you on my wife’s blog. This Easter season I want to say thank you to each of you for being a friend and supporting me and my family. I want to thank my family members for being a strong support system and pulling together and becoming closer each day. I want to thank my wife for being all I have ever needed her to be and standing by my side through the good and the bad. I want to thank my savior for understanding what no one else ever could but him. For lifting me up on days I struggle and for filling me with hope and a desire to do better.
Times are tough for most of us right now, financially, mentally, and sometimes spiritually. “WHY” I have a hard time with this word, it demands so much and yet warrants little thought or action on behalf of the person asking the question. Trust me I get that it would be nice to know exactly why something had to happen the way it did. I still ask “why” most days and I wish the desire to know “why” would go away. Ultimately I am learning that “why” does not matter. It is not the answer to why but rather the question “How” that matters. How can I pick myself up and change for the better, financially, mentally, and spiritually?
I miss my mother no doubt. I find my self often wanting to pick up the phone and call her for advice or direction. I find that I start to look forward to a holiday like Easter as I think about the great traditions my mom and dad taught me and that we cherish at holidays. Picnics at the park or in the woods, Easter egg hunts, and small but meaningful present’s mom would put together for us on Easter morning, time together laughing and having a good time together with each other. Church on Easter Sunday in our new church clothes and a lesson or conversation about the meaning of Easter. This year will be different for sure and I have been dreading Easter a little as mom won’t be physically here with us. I found that I have been too caught up in asking that dang word “why.” How sad right…. No not that I miss my mom but that I have been missing “it” and “it” was right in front of me. This holiday we celebrate the fact that Christ lives. He broke the chains of death and lives and loves us and that because of this “why” does not really matter. Making good choices and asking my self “how” each day and working to become a better man, friend, worker, dad, husband, and son of God will allow me to focus on “how” rather than “why.”
Mom I miss you, I love you, and I think about you each and every day. Often I wish you where here and sometimes I know you are. I want you to be proud of your son and the man I am trying to become. I want to do all I can to prepare to see you again. I want to thank you and dad for sharing the gospel with me. For being the missionaries who worked so hard with the lord to convert me. I pray I do the same for my kids and family. I am so grateful for my savior Jesus Christ and his eternal sacrifice. I am thankful for his individual concern for me and my family and know he works with my family as we come to him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit because that is what he requires of each of us. Thank you for all I have and thank you for teaching me the importance of “how” rather than “why”

Check out this great clip put together on Easter. Well worth you time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpFhS0dAduc

4 comments:

Evvie Turley said...

Well, I have the chills after reading your post, Jason. I am touched and so happy you have such a deep and true understanding of the atonement and purpose for it in our lives. I am so sorry that you lost your mom, but I know she has to be so proud of you and respects the person you are and keep trying to improve on. You and Shanda have such a sweet family and awesome spirit about you. Thanks for your sweet example.

Julie said...

Thanks for the post Jas. As for your question to me, just another silly thing that mom passed on to us that I am passing on to my daughter. I miss her so much, but have loved Easter and reflecting this year for the same reason as you. Life has so much more meaning when you are looking for it. Love you guys! Happy Easter.

Stewart & Sheila Smith Family said...

Well I decided to look at my blogs today and Jason this comment touches at my heart strings! The "Why" and the "How" always come into play and if we can just get through each day a little better than the last and keep our focus on Christ we will all make it through the hard times. Sure was glad you, Shanda and the boys got to join in on the Great Easter hunt. Love you

Creative Corner said...

Hey so I am a little behind but I echo everyone else. You are pretty amazing and I sure love your family. Good to be close!