Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thoughts Of You.....

I just had a customer come into my office to cancel her policy. She is an older Indian women who opened a store on the reservation with her husband back in May. A week or two ago her husband let her know a customer of his was going to meet them at the store that eve. He instructed her to get their things and to start up the truck while he started the generator. As she sat in her room she heard the generator start up and thought, "I need to hurry to the truck as it sounds like he is ready to go." As she stepped outside into the darkness she heard the generator but not her husband. She called his name and no response. She became worried and hurried back in and instructed her son to go out and look for his dad. Moments later she heard her son screaming for her. She rushed out the door and to her screaming son to find her husband lifeless in her son's arms. For an hour the EMT's tried to bring him back but it was not meant to be. Her husband passed away without any notice. No signs no warnings. As she told me her story she began to cry. Upon finishing the story she looked up at me her eye's full of tears and said,"don't let a day go by that you don't let you wife know you love her. It is one thing to loose a grandchild, a sister or brother, a mother or father, but it is entirely different to loose a partner, a spouse, a person you have been intimate with and whispered sweet nothings in their ear. My husband and I told each other every morning before leaving to work we loved and each other and left with a kiss. That morning we thought we were to busy to do this as we did every morning so we each neglected to say those simple little words. I Love You." She then looked up at me again and said, "that is why I say never let a day pass that you don't tell you wife how you feel about her. Love her!" As she dried her eyes my thoughts turned to my aunt Claudia and the pain she is going through. The heart ache she feels as she lays in her bed next to her near lifeless husband. The joy I see in her eyes as he takes her hand even if only for a moment. Striving to get the most out of what little time they have left together on this earth. Then my thoughts turned to you and the love that I have for you. You give so much to our family and I know you do. I know that pregnancies are hard on you yet you do it because of your love of our family. I know that your tired and sick and the last thing you want to do is watch kids but you do because you love me. I know cleaning is not as fun or as desirable as maybe sleeping or just relaxing would be for you yet you push your self and do it, and I know it is because you love me and our family. When I come in late at night and see you laying there in our bed I am always overcome with gratitude for the blessing of you in my life. When I walk in the door and see the look of releif in your eyes to have me home to help, when I see the expression of love you have placed through out the house by cleaning and fixing up our home, when I see Crew light up to be around his mom and dad. These things help me to know we are supposed to be. This is what is right and what makes me happiest. As I think about love and what it is, well it is thinking of your spouse before your self. It is putting their needs in front of your own, it is backing down when you may know your right but just want to support and love your spouse. It is going that extra step and doing a little more work because you know your spouse will appreciate it. Shanda you are the love of my life and I will love you forever and ever!
Jason