Tuesday, January 15, 2008

13.1M



One New Years Resolution down hundreds more to go. Last weekend I participated in the P.F.Changs Marathon & 1/2 Marathon run in Phoenix. Why did I do it? Well my answer is this, why wasn't I doing this sooner!?! I have held myself back for the past several years thinking that I was doing my "job", being the mom, the wife, the cook, the maid, etc.etc.etc., then it FINALLY hit me, I wasn't satisfied with the title of "ordinary mom" I had cut myself out of the equation and had forgotten to take care of me. So with '08 in view I started training for the new me. Finding that person I once was. Running the 1/2 Marathon was so much more personal than just "running a 1/2 marathon." It meant that this is the year I FINALLY get rid of the "baby weight", FINALLY get a few girlfriends to just laugh with, FINALLY not to sweat the small stuff, because it really is just "small stuff." and the resolutions just go on. The 1/2 marathon was awesome. Over 30,000 participants ran/walked the marathons. (only 9,000 ran the full marathon some 21,000 ran/walked the 1/2 marathon) We were given 4 hours to complete the 13.1 miles or we would be wheeled across the finish line. My only goal - not to be the one "wheeled" across the finish line! I really surprised myself at how well I did. My estimated arrival time to finish was 3:45:00 and my official arrival time at the finish was 3:16:11. Emotions ran high I as I saw my husband and boys in the stands cheering me on at the finish. Were did I get the umph I needed at the end to finish? Well I like to think it was from them. For them, for me, for the experience, I DID IT! And I now know that I can do it, anybody can. Now I am looking forward to run #2 (running together w/ BIG J), Pat's Run, benefiting the Pat Tillman Foundation in April. So IF any of you are interested check it out @ http://www.patsrun.com/.


Thanks Jason for helping me reach my goals. For early mornings, late nights, and keeping the kids out of my hair while training. This really meant so much to me, more than you'll ever know. Its Tuesday, so I guess that means I love you today!!! HA! Just keepin' it real BIG J!

14 comments:

melinda said...

Hey Shanda! Great blog!

That is completely AWESOME that you finished a 1/2 marathon! Way to go girl! You ROCK!

:)

Lyman Family said...

Sooooo Cool!! Talking to you got me pumped to do one. Way to go!!

Julie said...

That is so awesome! I am so crying right now because you inspire me! I am so glad you got to do that. Maybe I'll train to do the next one, and maybe like you I will work on the new me. Thanks for inspiring me!

Creative Corner said...

Hah. I read this and immediatley called jas to tell him just how proud I felt, even though that is so gay! I feel a lot like Jules thanks for the inspiration I want to be the best me. Now I need to get myself running so that I can do the Pat Tillman race with you!

Tiff Hunt said...

Shanda, you inspire me! I am going to do it, I am going to train for a marathon. I will look for one to do here in Utah. It think you are awesome and way to go!

Julie said...

Hey, one more thing! I checked out your brother's blog and saw the pictures.. goodness you look great! You guys must be going hard because you really do look good!

KARI said...

Shanda...that is so awesome!!! Did Becca do it with you? I remember Rayel was saying that she started running. Great Job:)Talk to ya later

Gina Lee said...

Congrats. This is a great accomplishment. I wish I had the motivation to just run around the block. haha. Keep up the good work. Maybe one day I will want to be a Super Mom too. lol

Jamielynn said...

WOW...shanda you are my insperation. For reals that is seriouly so awesome. I hope someday I can say I did that.

Teresa :) said...

Nice job Shanda. That is really cool. One of these days I want to run a marathon. I better hurry before I am totally out of shape. haha see ya later

loverofmysmithboyz said...

Shanda!!
I can't tell you how proud I am of you!! You are so awesome!! I look up to you so much!! Next time you come down please call me I want to see you! we miss you!

Matt and Kaaryn said...

Hey Shanda- It was great to see you over the holidays. We should do it again. Congrats on the run!

Reeds said...

Hey Shanda - 1st time I've seen your blog in a while because we didn't have a computer. You sound so awesome. I think it is way cool you ran and finished. That's really great. You go Girl.

Lisa said...

GOOD JOB!!! I'm training right now. I just started last week. That is sooo awesome. It's going to be a lot of fun! I love running! Weather STINKS THOUGH!!!!! Treadmills are not my thing either, so it's tough for me. I bet it was wonderful weather in Pheonix though. Congrats!