Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mom's Don't Get Sick Days


Today equals a Mothers worst nightmare...I'm sick (I know, poor me), .I remember when I was younger and even up until I had children that I didn't hate being sick. Because for most people, being sick really means you get a break. For me however, now that I have little rebels of my own that I care for 24-7--being sick is a living hell. I promise that no one gets the full meaning of the cliche "Mom's don't get sick days" until they have been a sick mom. But who is going to fill in for me when I get sick? No one. Being sick means that I have to do everything I normally do while feeling like crap. I must wake up when my kids wake up, I must put food in their bellies, I must amuse them and clothe them, and get them on the bus in time for school. I still am expected to change smelly diapers even though my gag reflex is enhanced times 10... and do the dusting, the dishes,the laundry, the vacuuming, and somewhere in the mix attempting to get in a shower... and if I decide not to do them while I am sick, guess who still has to do them later? That would be Me. The mom. Only by then, the piles of housework have become mountains from avioding them earlier. And unless I want to have my title of "MOTHER" stripped from me and have my kids forcibly removed from my house and placed in foster care, I cannot neglect that aspect of my job. Not ever.Being sick no longer means that I get to take a break from the things I dread doing. So I guess what I am getting at is the fact that mothers have the ultimate sick wild card to play that trumps anyone else's sick card. Particularly those mothers who have kids at home--and the younger they are, the worse off the mother is. Which basically boils down to the fact that I absolutely HATE being sick. Looks like its time for this mom to invade the medicine cabinet.

6 comments:

The Smith's said...

Tell me how you really feel:)

Cara said...

I totally feel for you. I have found this out first hand recently too. Having a little one and being sick is no fun. So I really feel for you since you have 2 little guys to care for. Hang in there. :)

Dawn Hancock said...

Man, I wish I was a little closer so the boys could come over and give you a little break. Does this mean something else than SICK????!!!! Well just wondering cuz it might be time... Okay enough, I hope you feel better that is never any fun. Give those two mess makers a hug from me. I love that Crew wants a baby Laini sooooo so cute.

Stewart & Sheila Smith Family said...

Shanda I love how you put this. Just to make you feel better I have been there and done that too. Hang in there the micracle soup does work miracles. Mom

Tiff Hunt said...

AMEN SISTER!! I am not feeling so hot myself and it sucks!! I sure hope you get to feeling yourself soon! Take good care of you!

Amanda and Chad said...

Shanda- Hey Girl! This is Amanda- your cousin Chad's wife. I saw your comment on Trisha's page wanting Chad's email address. (chadw.lloyd@gmail.com)
Your two little boys are dang cute! I love your blog.
Our blog is chadamandafamily.blogspot.com
It's private.. so send me your email address to lloyd_am@hotmail.com and I will add you to look at it!